Monday, December 3, 2012

Anxiety Cut-Up (with Anna Kavan)




I'm in residence in Pittsburgh at the Cyber Punk Apocalypse, indulging my whims. Today I attempted a Burroughs-style cut-up with an existential excerpt from my journal and a selection from "Ice," by Anna Kavan, a bleak surrealist novel I'm currently reading. I took the liberty of changing some tenses and inserting punctuation.

***

Knowing that there's just no good reason, the wearer's head was uncovered: her bright hair shimmered though thoughts all march toward the same destination. She had come too far and must hurry back. By night in the dark forest, fear was the climate she lived in, and metaphysical matters- psychic energy and the 9000 days she'd been alive--hurried on as fast as she could.

If she has ever known kindness to fall down, evolutionarily unwriting once became really frightened, terrified of being overtaken like silver fire, chain breaking prevented menace. The crowding trees unnerved her, of non-control in the universe. She said eleven Hail Mary's a day--glimmering in the forest. She feels better.

For your occupation of Planet Earth, for the fjord, failed to see it, lost her bearings and self. I shouldn't be alive. It's a dangerous hole, shutting her in. It was late, after sun, or it's an experiment. It would have been different.

After completing this task, nothing will happen, which always seemed full of obsession, anxiety, and "vibes." Something else from thought patterns. I think I try to prevent myselves into black walls, set. She said if she was nervous the conjecture is that in the deepening dusk every horror could be expected.

2 comments:

  1. Man, do I ever like this! The last paragraph, in particular, has an almost natural flow. It is disturbing, sure, but the conclusion seems almost unavoidable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. It is rare that I receive any from this site. The blogosphere is a lonely planet.

    ReplyDelete